Saturday 5 July 2014

Another new moth

I am sure, once I go through the final identification process of the moths I am catching there will be plenty of new species and last years tally of around 138 will be blown away.....heres a new moth for July....

Varied Coronet, Hadena compta

I thought I would re-post this moth as it seems to be turning up every time I put the trap out....and as its another pied moth it goes with the theme the new one above has set....and this was also a recent addition to the species list too....

Broad-barred White, Hecatera bicolorata

...and immediately breaking with the theme....a very colourful moth indeed.....

Early Thorn, Selenia dentaria

This Thorn is a male, the females being a bit more drab.  One could say this isnt exactly 'early' in the year, which is true.  It has two flight seasons, February to May and then July to September....obviously its first appearance giving it its name as no other Thorn species in this country will be seen earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment